Privacy Protection and Cookies Management Policy
Last update: May 15, 2019
This Privacy Protection and Cookies Policy describes how we collect and use information relating to you; it explains the options available to you regarding the way in which we use your information.
This Privacy Protection and Cookies Management Policy applies to the services (the "Services") provided on our website worldisavillage.com (the "Website").
This Privacy Protection and Cookies Management Policy applies whether you are a “Visitor” (meaning you are simply consulting the Website) or a “Member” (meaning you are registered or have carried out transactions with the Service or part thereof). By accessing the Service and providing us with information via the Service, you agree to this Privacy Protection and Cookies Management Policy. We recommend that you consult this Privacy Protection and Cookies Management Policy on a regular basis as we regularly update and modify it. We endeavour to keep you informed about any changes made.
WHAT INFORMATION RELATING TO ME IS COLLECTED BY WORLD IS A VILLAGE?
Data that do not allow to identify you directly
As with most online services, each time you visit our Website, we automatically collect certain data and information relating to you and/or your computer, but which do not identify you directly. This information includes:
- The type of Internet browser you use;
- The type of operating system and device you use to access the Service;
- The domain name of your Internet service provider;
- The web page you come from;
- The pages and options that you visit and access on our Service.
When you access and use our Website, we can follow your visit and collect certain data relating to your use of the Service and your activity on the Service, as described below in the “cookies” section. However, we do not collect any Personal Data relating to you, unless you decide to disclose it to us.
You may visit our Website without disclosing to any information that allows to identify you directly. However, in order to register or use certain services and options provided via our Website as well as to match with another family, you will be asked to provide certain Personal Data visible at the following levels:
- No information relating to you or members of your family is visible to persons who are not registered on the Website. Only those persons who have created a family account on the Website and have accepted the Terms and Conditions (link) and the Family Charter (link to FAQ) may see information relating to you. The details are as follows:
- : The following information is visible to other registered Users of the Website: First name of family members (fathers(s), mother(s), child(ren), Age of each child, Town/city and country of residence, Family photo, Family description, World is a Village community of which the family is a member, Other communities listed by the parents, Native languages spoken in the family, Other languages spoken in the family, Family activities, Keywords selected to illustrate the family
- : When you agree to chat with another Member, that Member shall have access to more information; the following information is visible to another Member with whom the Member has agreed to chat (in addition to the level 0 information): Individual pictures of each family member, Native language(s) and Other languages spoken by that Member, Other Communities reported by Parents, Other family pictures, Other house pictures, Number of bedrooms and bathrooms, Potential to provide access to and private bedroom and/or bathroom, House facilities, House description, House rules, House type, Activity description
- * : When you agree to validate a trip or stay with another Member, that Member shall have access to more information; the following information is visible to that Member: name, full address, email, telephone number
All of this personally identifiable information is collectively known as “Personal Data”.
When you contact us or ask to subscribe to direct mail or telephone notifications, we collect the Personal Data that you decide to disclose to us. Your disclosure of this Personal Data is completely voluntary; however, if you do not wish to disclose such Personal Data, some of the services and/or options provided on and/or via the Website may not be available.
We also collect Personal Data when you enter a contest, event (ambassador programme, etc.) or competition or contact us.
When you book a trip via the Website, we do not store your credit card details.
HOW IS MY PERSONAL DATA USED?
The Personal Data provided to us allow us to carry out matching, operate your child’s stay, create an account for you and update the information in the “Our Family” service, customise our product offering and improve your experience on our Website, making it more convenient, efficient and user-friendly. Without limiting the general nature of the above, we may use Personal Data that you disclose to us via the Service in order to:
- customise your communications;
- make the match, organise your child's stay and communicate with you;
- make an assessment of a trip or host experience that you have arranged with another Member family;
- adapt the content and presentation of our Website to your needs so that you only have to enter information once;
- coordinate competitions, promotions, surveys or other options of our Services;
- process requests and complaints made by or about yourself in connection with the Website;
- improve our business to better meet your needs.
We keep your Personal Data for as long as your account is active and for three years after your last login to your account or your last contact with World is a Village.
If you wish to set out guidelines for the storage, erasure and communication of your personal data after your death, you can contact us via the Contact page on our Website.
HOW IS MY DATA SHARED?
Third Party Service Providers
As part of our business, we may transfer your Personal Data to our third-party service providers that use the data to carry out World is a Village business only.
These service providers are third-party service providers which manage :
- credit card processing : www.stripe.com
- Insurance assistance : www.assur-travel.fr
- Videoconferencing : www.twilio.com
- email distribution : ww.mailchimp.com and www.mailjet.com
- communication tools (chat, contact email management) : www.zendesk.com
- assessments of hosting and travel experiences : www.typeform.com
We provide our preferred service providers with the Personal Data strictly necessary for the provision of their services only and we work with them to respect and protect your Personal Data.
We may disclose Personal Data at the request of the government, in response to a court judgement, order or injunction, if required by law, to enforce our policies concerning our Website, or to protect our rights, property or security or those of third parties. We may also share Personal Data with companies which help to combat fraud and investigate fraud. We do not share Personal Data with agencies or companies for marketing or commercial purposes.
Unless otherwise provided for in this Privacy Protection and Cookies Policy or with your prior permission, we will not sell, market or lend Personal Data to other companies in the normal course of business.
HOW DO I KNOW IF MY PERSONAL DATA IS KEPT SAFE?
We have a variety of security measures to prevent the loss, misappropriation or misuse of your Personal Data that you have provided on the Website. In order to ensure the security of the information you provide online during transmission, we use protective measures when processing any Personal Data you provide us with, and encryption technology for some of this data. In particular: all transmissions are encrypted via an https protocol; the passwords stored in our system are encrypted. The security of our Website is one of our key concerns. These measures are managed through the architecture of our provider OVH and meet all French and European certifications, standards and regulations. For more information: https://www.ovh.com/fr/apropos/certifications.xml. You can view our security certificate on your browser by clicking on the closed padlock or key at the bottom of your browser on any secure page on our website. Our Service security information will be displayed.
Any copies of documents, such as copies of identity cards, passports, school certificates, or other documents provided to World is a Village, will be stored on a dedicated server, separate from the rest of the architecture.
The Personal Data hosted on our platform is stored in France. To find out where your personal data is stored, please refer to the non-disclosure policies of the third-party solutions (see Third-Party Service Providers).
WHAT ARE COOKIES? HOW DOES WORLD IS A VILLAGE USE THEM?
A cookie is a small data file that can be stored by your Internet browser on your computer. Cookies allow you to browse and make your shopping experience more enjoyable. We place a unique identifier in the cookie and use the cookie to connect your computer with the information we store for you in our database.
- recognise you when you return to our Website;
- customise content that may be useful to you;
- remember the language preference of the site that you have chosen.
We also use Google Analytics and Mixpanel cookies to measure the traffic on the Website.
Finally, we use Facebook cookies that will allow us to send you personalized advertisements on Facebook, based on your interests. They also limit the number of times you can see an advertising message. Finally, these cookies also help us to measure the impact of our advertising campaigns. You can find more information about these cookies here : https://www.facebook.com/policies/cookies/.
Cookies do not allow access to your computer.
WHAT IS WORLD IS A VILLAGE'S POLICY ON RESPECT FOR CHILDREN'S PRIVACY?
We only request Personal Data from the legal representatives of children who wish to go on a stay via World is a Village, in which case you expressly authorise us to use your children's Personal Data. We only use a child's Personal Data to match them with other families, enable and facilitate the stay, and collect their impression of a stay or a hosting, allowing us to continuously improve our services. We will not use it for any other purpose. We never share it with any third party (with the exception of our partners who need it to provide services during your child's stay). If you would like more information, please contact us via our contact page, our support chat service available on every page of the Website, or call us on +33170230399.
HOW DO THE LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES ON WORLD IS A VILLAGE AFFECT ME?
We may occasionally place links to other websites and applications operated by third parties on our Website. These links are provided for your convenience only and aim to add value to your visit. However, by including these links, even if they are affiliated with World is a Village, we have no control over these websites and applications, which are independent of World is a Village and have separate privacy policies and general terms and conditions. Please be aware that our policies cease to apply when you leave our Website. Therefore, we shall not be responsible for the accuracy, relevance, availability, reliability, respect for copyright, legality or decency of the material contained in the third-party websites and applications linked to our Website. We strongly encourage you to consult the privacy policies and terms and conditions of any third-party websites applications before using their sites.
HOW CAN I REFUSE/UNSUBSCRIBE FROM EMAILS, DIRECT MAIL OR SMS SENT BY WORLD IS A VILLAGE OR TRANSMISSIONS TO THIRD-PARTY SERVICE PROVIDERS?
If for any reason you would like to stop receiving any email sent by World is a Village informing you of upcoming events, new products or services or other commercial communications, you can manage your email addresses and emails you agree to receive from World is a Village or its partners on the "Our Family/ Parent’s first name (Admin)" page.
HOW CAN I ACCESS, UPDATE OR DELETE THE INFORMATION IN “MY ACCOUNT/MY FAMILY"?
You must create an account in order to carry out matching and for your child to go on a stay. You can login to your account or manage it by clicking on the "Our Family" page. Once logged in, you will be able to change your contact details, update your addresses, check matches and view previous, current or upcoming stays. Remember that you are responsible for protecting your account’s username and password and, as stated in the General Conditions of Sale, you will be responsible for any activities carried out with your username and password.
To delete your account, simply send a request via our support chat service, available on each page of the Website.
WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS REGARDING MY PERSONAL DATA?
Pursuant to the legal or regulatory framework applicable to the protection of personal data and privacy, in particular European Regulation 2016/679, and the recommendations of any independent public authority established by a Member State of the European Union responsible for controlling this legal and regulatory framework, you have the right to access, modify and delete your Personal Data. This right may be exercised by post by writing to World is a Village, 29, rue des Sablons 75016 Paris, France, via our contact page or our support chat service available on every page of the Website.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I HAVE OTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT WORLD IS A VILLAGE’S PRIVACY PROTECTION AND COOKIES POLICY?
If you have any questions or concerns, including on the use of your child’s data, please contact us via our contact page or our support chat service available on every page of the Website.